Monday, June 8, 2015

Fully Involved House Fire in Airmont

Airmont - A mother heading for the gym came upon a fire burning in the garage early Monday, woke her sleeping family and got them out of the house, a fire official said.

Responders found fire raging at 6 Dorchester Drive after the blaze was reported at 4:07 a.m. The mother, father and their 1-, 3- and 6-year-old children escaped uninjured.

The fire broke out in the garage in the split level home – beneath where the children were sleeping.

"If she didn't alert the sleeping kids in the bedroom above, we would have a whole different story here," Airmont Fire Inspector Kim Weppler told The Journal News. He added, "They got really lucky here."

There was a carbon monoxide detector in the home but no smoke detectors, Weppler said. Carbon monoxide detectors take longer to activate than smoke detectors, he said.

The Tallman Volunteer Fire Department battled the blaze with firefighters from Suffern, Spring Valley and Mahwah, New Jersey.

{NewYorkBuffMedia Newsroom - Photos by @Zishey}

No comments:

Post a Comment